Hey there everyone! I took a little bit of a hiatus from blogging this winter and am ready to get back to it, offering great new content about scratchboard artwork and processes, pet portrait projects and photo sessions, wildlife and wild place features, new installments of my Endangered Species Series (ESS), and personal posts about adventure, travel, backpacking and hiking. I’m really excited to share my journey through this second year of full-time professional artist life with you!
To start off the year, I’d like to [RE] introduce myself to you…some of you seasoned supporters and others new to my work and scratchboard!
My name is Melissa and I have been an artist my whole life. I became a scratchboard artist six years ago and fell in LOVE with the medium. I’ll discuss why and explain the ins and outs of scratchboard in future posts. I specialize in highly detailed, photo realistic, black and white scratchboard wildlife and pet portrait artwork.
● I have:
- two amazing and supportive parents…without whom I would not be nearly as successful, efficient, or effective at running my business as I am today (THANK YOU!!)
- four siblings (I’m number 4 of 5…three girls, two boys), four siblings-in-law, four nephews and one niece
● I am an ice cream and choco-holic…every day please!
● The only magazine that I read every single month is National Geographic.
● I have a self-proclaimed obsession with all things Harry Potter…books, movies, games, puzzles, clothing, accessories, artwork…and so on
● I have fallen in love with hiking and backpacking. I never knew how much I could love simply walking in nature and sometimes carrying a really heavy backpack to do it for several days at a time. I try to get out on the trail several times a week around home and take my hiking adventures to beautiful new parks and places throughout the year. National Parks…yes please!! (More on this later too)
● I love to rollerblade, play volleyball, and swing in a hammock with a good book or to take a nap.
● I travel to art festivals across the Midwest from April to October with my scratchboard wildlife artwork (hoping to expand my travel distance and time range in coming years). Watch the home page for event locations and dates.
Thank you for following my journey and don't hesitate to offer suggestions for blog topics you would be interested in.
Find your joy. - Melissa